GREENLAND LANDSCAPE, INC - Making the world a greener place

Categories

Flowers
Plant and Tree disease
powered by

My Blog

Sooty Mold

Sooty mold is the common name applied to several species of fungi that grow on honeydew secretions on plant parts and other surfaces. The fungi’s dark, threadlike growth (mycelium) gives plants or other substrates the appearance of being covered with a layer of soot.
Sooty molds don’t infect plants but grow on surfaces where honeydew deposits accumulate. Honeydew is a sweet, sticky liquid that plant-sucking insects excrete as they ingest large quantities of sap from a plant. Because the insect can’t completely utilize all the nutrients in this large volume of fluid, it assimilates what it needs and excretes the rest as “honeydew.” Wherever honeydew lands—e.g., leaves, twigs, fruit, yard furniture, concrete, sidewalks, or statuary—sooty molds can become established.
Although sooty molds don’t infect plants, they can indirectly damage the plant by coating the leaves to the point that it reduces or inhibits sunlight penetration. Without adequate sunlight, the plant’s ability to carry on photosynthesis is reduced, which can stunt plant growth. Coated leaves also might prematurely age (senesce) and die, causing premature leaf drop.
Fruits or vegetables covered with sooty molds are edible. Simply remove the mold with a solution of mild soap and warm water.
Most plants will tolerate a small insect population and light amounts of sooty mold. When sooty molds are present on any surface in the landscape, it indicates there is, or has been, a sucking insect population present in the vicinity. Control of sooty molds begins with managing the insect creating the honeydew. For example, populations of aphids usually are highest on succulent, new growth. In some situations a strong stream of water can dislodge the insects. Also fertilize and water to keep plants healthy but not excessively vigorous.
Another important consideration can be ant management. Ants are attracted to and use honeydew as a source of food. Because of this, they will protect honeydew-producing insects from predators and parasites in order to harvest the honeydew. In many cases, predators and parasites are sufficiently abundant and quickly begin feeding on and reducing populations of scale insects, aphids, psyllids, whiteflies, or mealybugs once ants have been eliminated. If populations fail to decline, apply horticultural oils, neem oil, or insecticidal soap to suppress the problem insects. One or more applications might be needed. For detailed information on managing these pests see the appropriate Pest Notes listed in References.

10 Comments to Sooty Mold:

Comments RSS
Mold Remediation on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 2:48 AM
I'm happy that I found your blog while searching the internet for ideas and good content. It's very informative and the quality of your posts is excellent.
Reply to comment

pay to write paper on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:31 AM
I come to know that everyone gives extra care a thing for long life, similarly if you use safety procedure then you will successful in your aims. Likewise crops needs extra care that farmers spends many days and night to get the results for completion of their crops. Also protects from newly diseases spread around.

asdfin on Sunday, July 09, 2017 5:19 AM
By perusing this blog I come to think about the estimation of police. There is no subject of police in here and this blog shared demonstrations of police in various circumstances and episodes, So the blog ought to be share among individuals to advance police.
Reply to comment

Brinda Jack on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:27 AM
It is very kinteresting to read :)

hike for pc on Thursday, April 05, 2018 3:32 AM
hike for pc
Reply to comment

jaw on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:26 AM
awesome view
Reply to comment

best paper writing service reviews on Friday, May 25, 2018 12:51 PM
You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be actually one thing which I think I'd by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very broad for me. I'm looking ahead for your subsequent put up, I will attempt to get the cling of it!
Reply to comment

Nicki Strangways on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 4:05 PM
For a limited time we have lowered the rate on targeted website traffic. We have visitors from virtually every country on Earth. Each visitor is targeted by both country and keywords that you submit when you start your free trial period. If you need more visitors or product sales try our service free for seven days and we will send you 500 free visitors during the trial. There are no contracts and if you cancel during the trial period you will not be charged anything! Start your trial today: https://flust.de/tpuwx Unsubscribe here: http://stpicks.com/2ruse
Reply to comment

Candelaria Pichardo on Monday, September 24, 2018 4:00 PM
For a limited time we have lowered the rate on targeted website traffic. We have visitors from virtually every country on Earth. Each visitor is targeted by both country and keywords that you submit when you start your free trial period. If you need more visitors or product sales try our service free for seven days and we will send you 500 free visitors during the trial. There are no contracts and if you cancel during the trial period you will not be charged anything! Start your trial today: http://insl.co/11 Unsubscribe here: http://stpicks.com/2ruse
Reply to comment

best 5 resume writing services on Monday, November 26, 2018 11:15 AM
I grow fruits and vegetables in my small backyard. The produce is just for my family's consumption. One of the big problems I encounter with my plants is mold. Molds deter plant growth. Not only that I am concerned about safety as I am not sure if a fruit or vegetable that has been infected with mold is still safe to eat. I have read that there different types of plant molds. Some are safe, others are not. I want to know how to avoid molds in my plants. I've tried every advice I got online but nothing seems to work. Are there plants that are more vulnerable to molds? I hope you write more about this topic on your blog.
Reply to comment